Saturday, January 15, 2011

Food, Food Everywhere And Not A Bite To Eat!

Okay, I have had a craving all week for something. What is it? I don't know! But nothing I have stuffed down my gullet in the past five days has even come close to satisfying my insatiable desire for food. And no, I'm not pregnant :) It's just that I get into these mysterious food kicks, you see? Ever since I was a teeny, tiny toddler I would get into these.. streaks where only ONE thing, one food item would really hit the spot and end my hunger. And make no mistake... I will keep eating until I figure it out and really, that isn't always as fun as it may sound.

Sometimes it's as simple as looking in my amply stocked kitchen. Other times I need to get my ass off of the couch and journey to the store to find out exactly what I need. Hence why I spend endless hours on a crowded weekend walking through Jungle Jims. But even more times still, I find myself here, online, searching some of my favorite food blogs until bam! That one perfect thing with its alluring little photo POPS off of the page and devilishly lures me into a food adventure.

So, for your reading and gastronomical pleasure, I have compiled a tiny list of my favorite food blogs that inspire me daily. Starting with the one that really made me want to cook. Not just bake cook. I introduce you now to Deb Perelman and her wonderful little gem, Smitten Kitchen This a sweet, honest blog about a delightful woman name Deb. She lives in NYC and makes the most stunning things out of her truly tiny kitchen. I can't count how many times I've made her Penne Alla Vodka. From main dishes to noshes to desserts and even drinks she does it all. All the while reminding us that she is no professional and if she is capable of making such delectable dishes in her tiny kitchen with no formal training AND a toddler at her feet, so can we. Did I mention she takes stunning photos, tests her recipes rigorously and is writing a cookbook? I say, step aside Martha. Deb is the new modern domestic goddess.

Next up is Bakerella. This blog is written by Angie Dudley. Its very girly, kitsch kind of website that contain recipes for the most indulgent baked goods your eyes have ever laid sight on and your teeth have ever sank into. She comes across just as sweet as the stuff she makes. A lot of the times she even uses mixes and I don't mind a bit! Her signature? Cake Pops. Little balls of cake on a stick dipped in chocolate. There is a book and a subsequent book tour dedicated to them and they are so adorable they make Hello Kitty look pitiful. Everything is in fantastically  cute colors. And to bump it up and notch? Macaron Pops with little bows tied to the sticks. I die. For my birthday, I made myself her Cookie/Brownie Bars. Just recently, she received an impromptu call from Blake Lively, apparently a great baker in her own right, to come on over for the day, hang, and bake. And Disney has commissioned her for various projects involving her whimsical Cake Pops. What a life, huh? Let's hope she doesn't forget us little people down here.

Orangette is such a fantastic find. Molly Wizenberg started her blog, named after one of her favorite candies, six years ago. Before that she spent time in Paris and was in a Ph.D program for a bit. I adore her Cabbage Gratin. And while her recipes are worth the look see alone, I stayed because of the story. Soon after beginning her blog, Molly fell in love with a reader. They are now married and living in Seattle, Washington. In August of 2009, they opened Delancey, a wonderful little restaurant that on a trip to visit family, I had the pleasure of dining in. I kind of bullied the fam into going. I had to try it! I had the Hot Salami Pizza and a spicy Ginger Cake for dessert. The Bourbon Butterscotch Sauce would taste good on a shoe. I'm so jealous. She has written a New York Times bestseller and currently has a monthly column in Bon Apetit. She has a lot on her plate and after eating what she puts on her plates, I'm not the least bit surprised.


Honestly, next time you are bored with nothing to do. Make a cup of tea or fill up your wine glass and have a look at any of these sites. I promise you, within forty-five minutes you will be dying to make at least three things. Hopefully one day, my humble little site will do the same. Until then...I shall dream!

Smitten Kitchen
Bakerella
Orangette

No comments:

Post a Comment