Sunday, February 6, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Can you even say that without smiling or going off into some dream like state? I doubt it. I can't tell you how many times growing up this appeared on the dinner table. What I can tell you is that every year on my birthday while other children picked Chuckie Cheese or one of those fancy McDonalds parties, I asked my mom to make this. It's a pretty sacred, special family recipe that no one and I do mean no one can possibly resist. It's way easier and cheaper to make then I thought once I rolled my sleeves up. I think you

My mother loved making this recipe. For years she swore up and down that grandma was hiding some part of it from her because it never tasted "quite like Mom's". After making it myself, I realized nothing ever tastes "quite like Mom's". That's the beauty of the experience. Everyone's own hand and touch imparts something different to a dish, even if you use the same recipe. Am I getting too philosophical about this? I'm sorry. It's just that this holds such a dear memory in my heart.

I first attempted this recipe last year on my birthday. I had been wanting to for year but the emotions I carried with it were hard to overcome. And there's that other part, of course. The part where I didn't have my mom to teach it to me. I had a mini meltdown over it. I felt entitled to. But then, I picked myself back up and went to the only other source I had. Grandma. I think putting it together and baking it as a family was a bit of a healing experience for us both. Even grandpa helped. We talked about mom. There were stories, laughs, and tears. And I felt honored for the occasion.

If you are looking for healthy, low fat, heart conscious, or light fare... this just isn't for you. Its a heavy dish with butter and tons of cheese. I'm sure you could make it healthy but I must then ask, why? Doing so will make you miss out on everything that is sooo wonderful about this dish. Its got an bubbly, cheesy crust. ( NO breadcrumbs here) The inside had that ooey, gooey, stringy effect that makes one oooh and ahhh. It's really a meal itself that need no accompaniments. Should you feel so inclined to do so, I recommend a big, green salad.

Although, the thought did just occur to me that one could add chopped ham, chicken, or smoked sausage to the mixture without complaint. Either way, you will probably never make the stuff in the blue box again. Unless you get nostalgic that is :)

RECIPE:

Ingredients:

2 cups macaroni noodles, cooked to package specifications
1 8oz. block of cheese, Mom used Cracker Barrel
4 oz. shredded Sharp American cheese
2 cups whole or 2% milk, non fat does not work well
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour

Steps:

1. Cook macaroni noodles to package specifications, drain and set aside
2. While the macaroni noodles are cooking, slice the block of cheese into 1/4 inch this slices
3. In a 1 quart sauce pan heat up 1 cup milk with 4 Tbs. butter until the butter on low heat
4. In a lidded container, shake remaining cup of milk with the 4 Tbs. of flour until well combined
5. Pour the flour and milk mixture into the butter and milk mixture still on low heat
6.Once the white sauce mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, add the 4oz of shredded cheese and stir
7.Mix the macaroni and the cheese sauce mixture in a larger cooking pot

Assembly:

1. Take 1/3 of the macaroni and sauce mixture and pour it into your casserole dish
2. Arrange a layer of cheese slices, if needed to cover better sprinkle additional shredded cheese.
3. Repeat step one
4. Repeat step two
5. Put the last of the macaroni and sauce mixture on
6. Cover the above layer with whatever cheese you have left over

Baking:

I bake this for 25 minutes art 350 degrees covered, then an additional 15 minutes uncovered. It WILL be very hot upon coming out of the over. Allow it to cool sufficiently.


NOTES:

1. I KNOW this sounds involved but I promise it is easy. 3 layers of macaroni, 3 layers of cheese.
2. Do not be intimidated by the white sauce, it will come together. Just keep it as a low heat. 
3. While mom used Cracker Barrel brand cheese, I have had great success with Kraft as well as Kroger and Meijer brands. Adjust the sharpness level of the cheese to your taste
4. This travels well and reheats like a dream. Just pop it back in the oven at 350 degrees covered until it is as hot as you like

No comments:

Post a Comment