Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 2: A Health Conscious Peanut Butter Cookie?

Well, I did start out thinking about the health impact of this cookie. One, it's a cookie. Two, it's a peanut butter cookie. And three, I'm doing ten DAYS of cookies so... yeah. Healthful eating isn't on my mind. And really, I shouldn't mislead you too much, that's not nice of me. By healthy I mean gluten free. Why you ask? The answer is, I didn't know.

Years ago, when I was 14 or 15, I stayed the night at a friend's house. The next morning when we awoke, her mother was making peanut butter cookies for work. She let us each have one and it was like the clouds parted and rays of sunshine beat down on our faces and the angels sang! Soft and super peanut buttery and rich. Everything I ever wanted a cookie to be.

When I asked her how she made them, she said just three things. 1 Egg, 1 cup granulated sugar, and 1 cup of peanut butter. That's it! No flour, no butter, no leavening. Now I realize she was gluten intolerant but at the time I thought it was genius. I immediately made a batch as soon as I arrived home for my parents and proudly showed them off. My step-dad loved peanut butter cookies best of all and every year after that, I was responsible with keeping him in good supply.

It's impossible to forget how to make these. The ingredients are probably always on hand. And they are soooo quick to throw together. And they always stay soft. So again. This is the entire recipe:

Combine one extra large egg with one cup granulated sugar until the sugar starts to dissolve. Mix in one cup of whatever peanut butter you enjoy. (I've never tried crunchy). Chill for 10 minutes to help the dough firm. Scoop out two tablespoon size cookies and roll into balls. Roll in more granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet about two inches apart. They do spread. Pat down with hands. (This is important to ensure a good texture) Cook for 10-12 minutes on 350 degrees. Cool and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment