Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 6: Snickerdoodles

Well, I took a day off yesterday because when I sat down and began to blog I realized a was a day ahead. Which was perfect because I needed a day to just chill. I've been doing this whole baking thing to put me into the holiday spirit but it hasn't really worked quite yet. Not the way I had hoped and everything was kind of building up and yesterday it finally happened... I had my breakdown about Christmas.

Don't feel bad. It was inevitable. I'd been shoving it to the back of my mind, baking away my pain, and going into numb mode for as long as I could. Everything started out fine yesterday unitl I started watching Home Alone 2, and then thinking of dad (he LOVED this movie), and then thinking of mom and I just couldn't take it anymore. I just needed to cry it out, proclaim how "really unfair" this all is, and have a pity party.

I emerged from it thankfully because of having a great, easy, breezy, unexpected conversation with a friend on facebook chat last night. (And a glass of booze) It was a friendship I had let slip away for many years after mom and dad had passed because everything reminded me of them. And it's one that's been hard to rebuild. But last night, it just seemed... right. I've missed it and I've needed it. It's funny the blame you place on other people until you start hearing the same complaints from other people and you finally begin to think... maybe it's me.

This is true of me and  A LOT of things but, mostly people. I rarely make new friendships. Despite writing a blog... I'm pretty clammed up to new things, experiences, and people. But over the past week I have made a new friend. At least I hope. And what's better is I think we've had some similar experiences. Which, while everyone I know is sympathetic to what I've been through, they don't have the same perspective. I think I've been needing that for awhile.

So, Saturday, I sucked up my nerves and made dinner and a brand new cookie I've never made before and headed on over to my new friend's house. She is a new mommy with a delightfully helpful husband whom I went to school with. (Caiti, is it who, whom? I think you would know, lol) I brought over some games with the intention to just play them and break the ice but instead we talked. About a lot of things. And it was great. In fact, I'm seeing her again on Tuesday. Do you think I'd look fat in my new sweater? LOL (I always akin making new friends to being set up on a blind date.)


Anywho, this new friend opportunity gave me the one last recipe I couldn't hone in on for my baking project. Snickerdoodles! Say it again because its funny and you know. I have never had them before let alone made them but I do know that my real father, Ron, loved them. And so does my new friend's husband so I attempted them and BOY... oh... am I glad I did!!! They are like... the best sugar cookies ever!! But with Cinnamon. And to boot? They are so easy... I didn't have to change anything about the recipe at all. You can bet these will be my go to anytime cookies when I need something sweet.

Snickerdoodles

NOTES:

1. I did the Cream of Tartar variation located in the back story of Snickerdoodles because I was curious. It was easy to do. I had trouble finding Cream of Tartar but now worries, it's in the SPICE section. Not leavening. I get it now.
2. I didn't use parchment paper on my pans. Just grease, butter, or spray them.
3. The first batch I backed too long at nine mintues. The second-fourth, I reduced the bake time by two minute and they came out perfect. Oven times will vary. You do not want these cookies to brown. I also found you want to remove them from the cookie sheet almost immediately. This should not be a problem
4.The last batch, spread really thin on the pan and were not even salvageable. I suggest you refrigerate your dough in between batches.

1 comment:

  1. I was so not expecting to see my name. lol! But yes, you were correct because you use who when you are referring to the subject of a particular clause and whom when you are referring to the object. Believe it or not, I am not the greatest grammatician. But I did know that one.

    ReplyDelete