Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 5: No Bake Cookies

Okay, I'm just going to say this because I am obsessive and it has always bothered me. These are NOT cookies!! Imagine me stamping my foot right now and about five years old because that's how that conversation went down annually at my house. My mother would make these things for my brother all willy nilly whenever he so desired but my beloved Hungarian cookies were rudely cast aside until the last minute of Christmas never to see the light of day again until 365 days later...

 I was a.... special child. :) Really, these are delicious but they are more of a candy. And a great first attempt at baking if you aren't up close and personal with it yet because they are indeed a breeze to make. The only part I really like about them being made was that in the winter, mom would put the cookies sheets outside so they would set up faster. I always thought that was sooo cool. I would have done that myself but we have a huge opossum problem in my neighborhood and the last thing I want to be doing in the middle of this baking project is wrestling a fanged super mutant rat for my cookies.

Somewhere along the way, my mother's recipe has been lost. I had a mini meltdown over it.  But this being the digital age and all I eventually pulled myself out of my funk and started searching online. Since all ten recipes I looked at were exactly the same, I went for it.

And they turned out pretty darn good. Not quite what I remember but that's probably me all up in my own head about losing her recipe. They weren't as chocolaty as hers and a bit grainy in texture Although, looking at it now... I did use a 1/4 of a cup too much of sugar for some reason. *duh!* So... there it is folks. LoL. Just follow the recipe and I'm sure they will turn out even more fabulous than my batch.

 No Bake Cookies


NOTES:

1. I would STILL probably use 1 more tablespoon of cocoa powder. Too much chocolate is not something I understand
2. I had to add more oatmeal to this as the mixture looked a bit wet. It could have been my using too much sugar. The mixture should be thick and a bit hard to stir. If you think yours is to runny, just add more oatmeal. It won't affect the taste.
3. You can make them as small or as big as you like. I used a 1/8 cup measuring cup to spoon them out onto foil. Wax paper works, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment