Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 9: Christmas Morning Casserole

Breakfast is far and away my favorite meal of the day. In my house weekdays were cereal and toast. All kinds of toast. With melted butter, sweet cinnamon sugar, or my favortie, creamy peanut butter. Always with hot tea. The weekends were eggs and sausage and oatmeal and all the jazzy things you go to Bob Evans for. At least at home you can avoid all the old people. (Take a look around sometime. It's creepy.) Sometimes, we would even have breakfast for dinner. I didn't know there was such a thing as ready to go pancake mix until I was at least fifteen. Mom always made them from scratch.

But now older and somewhat wiser, I always look for ways to cut corners to have more than just toast or cereal on a regular basis. A great way to do this is make a breakfast casserole. There are hundreds of variations on these things but as long as you follow the steps of the recipe, you can add anything you like. However, as it comes below was the house favorite. And just in case savory doesn't make the cut on your holiday morning I've included a sweet one, too. I've made it many times on the fly using raspberries more often than blueberries. I thought they would make nice additions to the holiday recipe list as a last minute idea that you can make Christmas Eve and pop in the oven on Christmas morning. No hassle. Just King/Queen of Christmas Delight and Deliciousness.

And really, it should sit over night if possible. It does this wonderful thing to the flavors and texture. Serve it with something hot to drink and maybe a nice fruit salad to keep up appearances that you are "watching my figure". Happy Christmas Eve all.

 Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Blueberry Cream Cheese Freach Toast Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment